Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tackling the A word

I live with the word Addiction on a daily basis.

Merriam-Websters defines addiction as - compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.

Compulsive Overeating (or Food Addiction)

Definition
Compulsive overeating is characterized by uncontrollable eating and consequent weight gain. Compulsive overeaters use food as a way to cope with stress, emotional conflicts and daily problems. The food can block out feelings and emotions. Compulsive overeaters usually feel out of control and are aware their eating patterns are abnormal. Like bulimics, compulsive overeaters do recognize they have a problem.

Compulsive overeating usually starts in early childhood when eating patterns are formed. Most people who become compulsive eaters are people who never learned the proper way to deal with stressful situations and used food instead as a way of coping. Fat can also serve as a protective function for them, especially in people that have been victims of sexual abuse. They sometimes feel that being overweight will keep others at a distance and make them less attractive. Unlike anorexia and bulimia, there is a high proportion of male overeaters. 

The more weight that is gained, the harder they try to diet and dieting is usually what leads to the next binge, which can be followed by feelings of powerlessness, guilt, shame and failure. Dieting and bingeing can go on forever if the emotional reasons for the bingeing is not dealt with.
In today's society, compulsive overeating is not yet taken seriously enough. Instead of being treated for the serious problem they have, they are instead directed to diet centers and health spas. Like anorexia and bulimia, compulsive overeating is a serious problem and can result in death. With the proper treatment, which should include therapy, medical and nutritional counseling, it can be overcome.
Signs and Symptoms
  • Binge eating
  • Fear of not being able to stop eating voluntarily
  • Depression
  • Self-deprecating thoughts following binges
  • Withdrawing from activities because of embarrassment about weight
  • Going on many different diets
  • Eating little in public, while maintaining a high weight
  • Believing they will be a better person when thin
  • Feelings about self based on weight
  • Social and professional failures attributed to weight
  • Feeling tormented by eating habits
  • Weight is focus of life
 I bring this up at this time because I have been monitoring my feelings and dependency on food. My food choices have become healthier. Which is a good thing. I only keep healthy foods in the house.


Now here is the bad thing. There are times that even with healthy food in the house I find myself just eating and eating. I know I am not hungry. But THERE IS STILL FOOD LEFT IN THE HOUSE AND I MUST EAT IT NOW!!!! This is the reason that I do not buy all my groceries for the week at one time. I would just eat it all in the next day or two or possibly three and then I am right back at the grocery store buying more food.


I had a night a week or so ago that I tried to go to sleep but I kept on waking up going "there are leftovers from dinner in the refrigerator I should eat them" but I tried to rationalize to myself that 1) I did not need to eat that right then and there and 2) I could always eat it in the morning. But after tossing and turning for a couple of hours I had to get up and eat it. No I really did not have to get up and eat it but I knew if I did not I was not getting any sleep. 

Now if this food was not in the house and I was just hungry. I could have slept through the night and then just run to the grocery store in the morning and grabbed some fruit. 

Sigh. Someday I will get a grip on this. Hopefully sooner than later. I keep on telling myself that it is a plus that I know these things about myself. But at what time does knowing this about yourself and still not getting better still count as a crutch?

No comments:

Post a Comment